Re: [Xen-users] Need Virtualization Support in laptop

To: Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Need Virtualization Support in laptop
From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:53:15 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 05:54:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=H74AaHNeHFBH5+HLr4Z73y+9YZRJUBRH7yUVptlTuiM=; b=kfqt9awjZVpaX1pL19woPyBxtMe3VniYOnfhmjh3AcvO8P37KyTioJT+oVjXTuSqas N+DaG2jPAE31xtGvUPTnArFnJwy2jXg+GM4D1twSfYnRSQBxSkGNY4olGFYSvOBV13f2 WDKqojuT4QtZPr78Dxmzd+4WXONKquYuD6JOE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16 October 2011 14:46, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am having a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop. This does not have
> virtualization support.I want  Virtualization Technology support in
> this laptop.
>
> What should I do
> 1) should I  get motherboard replaced
> 2) or should I get processor replaced.
The substitution of the processor is sufficient.
Of course if you get a VT-x or AMD-v CPU enabled, you
will have the possibility to have the virtualization technology
support.
Actually, even if I had the same problem on a Desktop PC, it
was sufficient to buy a new CPU with VT-x support.
The motherboard should be bought only if it doesn't support the
new CPU.

Note that, many laptops don't give the possibility to enable the VT-x
through the BIOS (like my case), even the CPU supports it. In this
case, there are alternative procedures to get it enabled! ;-)

Bye,
--
Flavio