RE: [Xen-users] XEN - networking and performance

To: "admin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'xen-users' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XEN - networking and performance
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:34:20 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:36:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah.  Disks in general are a bottleneck.

One of the traps we've run into when virtualizing moderately I/O-heavy hosts, is not sizing our disk arrays right.  Not in terms of capacity (terabytes) but in spindles.  If each physical host normally has 4 dedicated disks, for example, virtualizing 8 of these onto a domU attached to a disk array with 16 drives effectively cuts that ratio from 4:1 down to 2:1.  Latency goes up, throughput goes down.

I'm finding more and more than sharing CPU resources and memory isn't the problem, it's disk.  Maybe SSD will get really cheap and we can ditch the old mechanical drives.  Or at least I can hope.

Jeff