Re: [Xen-users] Problem creating a domU using virt-install: --connect is

To: Mark Pryor <tlviewer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem creating a domU using virt-install: --connect issue
From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:38:38 +0200
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:40:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3 October 2011 19:55, Mark Pryor <tlviewer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To see the actual trouble you need to read the OSDistro.py script from package
> python-virtinst.noarch
Thanks a lot for replying Mark.
I've seen that file. To be honest I don't know how to patch it now.

> This script is called by virt-install to build the final URL for the xen
> image folder. The path for centos is hardcoded (./image/xen)
>
> Our friends in the Centos project didn't create this subfolder, so no netboot
> vmlinuz/initrd.img are provided for virt-install.
OK.

> The bad news is that without patching OSDistro.py (not recommended)
> virt-install will fail for C6 installs.
Well, I can try with centos-5 but I guess the problem still remain, as
regard the error I've posted in the first message here.

> I have requested via ML that the Centos project add this subfolder
> (./images/xen) and populate it with the vmlinuz/initrd.img from the isolinux
> folder.
Well done.

> Your workaround (for now) is to drop using virt-install and use `xm create
> domU kernel=xx ramdisk=yy`, where xx and yy are sourced as above.
I use xl, the new toolstack, now.
I've never created a domU using xm (or xl in this circumstance), so
please, could you help me to do that?

So, as far as I understand I can try to setup another domU (choosing
another distro), and it should work for sure.
Isn't it? Could you suggest me an howto, or some instruction to setup
a Suse (for instance) domU with virt-install?

Thank you very much,

--
Flavio