Re: [Xen-users] performance problem with more than one domain U

To: "tex---74@xxxxxxxxxx" <tex---74@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] performance problem with more than one domain U
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:37:38 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:39:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=f2Q0BFzbg36zPMr8tv7oIgKRMCuUX2atX54W9hxnBM0=; b=Rkxg8Dj2LVcudOL56OvZy9xYMfDE2bz+a0oqmDeW/1WbZziI11b/0eKzNUzlN2GKGv /Py6iFaol5p5DUL2IdBSavkvez3rztZaSBIOGBRFPcousbEQCyePrtQ2beShcEghgbNG Ogc5QzQEBhJnS1UfInONxltqiN/D/bIa0kUEY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM, tex---74@xxxxxxxxxx
<tex---74@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The first machine (the one where i did the test)
> has 8 vcpus and 12 GB RAM
>
> The second machine (that II just started)
> has 1 vcpu and 2 GB RAM

So the VMs have very different configurations then?

Have you tried giving the 2 VMs equal resources?

Why wouldn't you expect a virtual machine with less vCPUs and less
memory to perform slower?

The rm command might not get the best benchmark to to understand what
is going on. Have you considered testing a microbenchmark like iozone?

What is your disk backend and is it the same for each? It is a shared
directory or are you creating/copying the same directory to each
machine for the test?

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm