Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Xeon E3 1235 and Asus W8P WS

To: Ben Himberg <bhimberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Xeon E3 1235 and Asus W8P WS
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:01:50 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:06:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=970n5LQ47CYBdqBqJZ3n3vdS8RmJrB2Rpeu7JSl4BJ4=; b=nD41pHdUPAmodIL2yIttwqyVPHVbxJ3Yo8R9Vi93FOpwrur8JIwWFNmz9GLJcjqRaa pvgOgRcAX9RidxePB5NkqV08Ze8uD+gDLpKb/WIEVwq2HrE+fSHWMfttY3JBINlSY+bt txdfyQJnmq9U1J3yjIeR7+YPokh/ZltOTBFXE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Ben Himberg <bhimberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry for the double post.  Had some trouble subscribing through nabble and
> ended up subscribing directly.  Anyways, to update this: I'm using the
> latest bios (704) and VT-d is supported.  There are two messages in my 'xm
> dmesg' output:
>
> (XEN) ACPI: 32/64X FACS address mismatch in FADT -
> badd2f80/0000000000000000, using 32
>
> and
>
> (XEN) Table is not found!
>
> I don't think I need DMA passthrough to pass a pci device from dom0 to an
> unmodified domU (Win7).  Is that the case?
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:17 AM, bhimberg <bhimberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Debian 2.6.32-5 with Xen-4.1.2-rc3.  I get the following
>> message
>> in my 'xm dmesg' output:
>>
>> Intel VT-d Snoop Control not enabled.
>> Intel VT-d DOm0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
>> Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
>> Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping enabled.
>>
>> I've passed the command 'iommu=pass-through' to xen using the
>> /etc/default/grub 'GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN=' line.  I'm not even sure that I need
>> DMA Passthrough, but since I can't seem to enable it I'm worried that VT-d
>> isn't fully functional.  That and in the intel data sheet my processor
>> supports DMA Passthrough.
>>
>> I can't seem to find any specifics on whether Xen works with Xeon E3
>> series,
>> or the c206 intel chipset but am eager to get it to work if someone will
>> tell me where to start.

VT-d needs to be working for passthrough to HVM guests.

See:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough

--
Todd Deshane