[Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs
From: Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:59:59 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:04:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am interested in having a bunch of HVM DomUs share a memory segment that is exported by Dom0. I am currently on a Xen 4.1.0 system with the Jeremy PV-OPTs Dom0. For my initial test, my DomU kernel is running a 32-bit PAE kernel based on Fedora 15. I configured the PV options to turn on the Xen Platform Drivers (configured as modules). When I start the DomU, it cannot find the root and swap partitions and then falls into a debug shell.

The Standard Fedora 15 32-bit kernel (with no PV options configured) works fine as a HVM DomU on my host. Is there a special recipe that I must follow to get PV-on-HVM working? From reading various posts it appears that PV-on-HVM is required in order to get inter-VM shared memory to work with HVM DomUs. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
-Anil