Re: [Xen-users] Re: preferred XEN dom0 OS

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: preferred XEN dom0 OS
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:11:21 +0200
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:13:06 -0700
References: <1314134830921-4728337.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <p06240831ca7a50f669b7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <sig.92175ce0a7.CAAj3Djn=uCJP8_YKx=dgUd4QD6rTHW0PSAa6_xTx9BD8iRGqdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAGnmK4xa3wzfdL=z0h-KF5QQwmghzh4sRYta_cDCQB2bsUWsoQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <sig.421767fb10.CAAj3DjkB9OF5Wvcm+Prw_GdSHtz0GOtoMh5D1NAwx9GvPP4O2Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAAj3DjkB9OF5Wvcm+Prw_GdSHtz0GOtoMh5D1NAwx9GvPP4O2Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <CAG1y0seCk8-08gv4Ej9zH1rGT6S_A+5+SYrtRAVLCPx-RVz5FA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Grant McWilliams
>> <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Why not just install a newer version of Xen?
>

>> cause I prefer stability over cutting edge, and previous experiences
>> with using XEN that's not native to the OS has given us all kinds of
>> horendous results. We use XEN in production so I can't really afford
>> to try new things every now and then, and then sit with problems when
>> an upgrade didn't go as expected.
>
> Actually, for that requirement you should either:
> - stick with Centos, or
> - go with XenServer
>
> Since you "prefer stability over cutting edge", I don't think any
> newer dom0-kernel version (including the one already upstream in linux
> kernel) will be suitable. There will be missing features (e.g. vga
> console, blktap) and bugs. They're continually being fixed (see
> xen-devel list archive), but I wouldn't recommend either git version
> or current upstream kernel for production.
>
> It might be a different story if all xen-related features are already
> accepted upstream (either in kernel, or in userspace qemu). But again,
> if your concern is stability, I'd recommend to just stick with Centos,
> or go with XenServer (even XCP might be too bleeding-edge for your
> needs). RHEL5 is still being supported until 2014 (or 2017 if you have
> extended life cycle support), so Centos should follow as well.
>
> --
> Fajar

mmm, ok.

What is the current native XEN version on Debian or OpenSuse? I
couldn't find anything definate. Some sources suggest 4.0, others 4.1
- how stable is XEN 4.x at this stage?

And what about Slackware / Gentoo or other similar Linux distro's?

My problem with CentOS is that CentOS 6 (rather RH6) doesn't have
native XEN anymore so our upgrade path looks a bit uncertain right
now.

Isn't XenServer built on CentOS as well?
What *real* benefit will I have in using XENServer instead of CentOS + XEN?

We use CloudMin to manage the XEN nodes, so I don't really care too
much about "easy management" if that's the only real difference. So,
if someone has used both these, for anything other trying to see how
it works, please share some experiences if you don't mind

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com