RE: [Xen-users] KVM vs XEN source

To: "admin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Xen User-List' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] KVM vs XEN source
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:01:15 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:04:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xen has some very large deployments (Amazon EC2).  It's not easy to say what kind of market share KVM has these days, assuming a minority of all Red Hat customers actually use it.  I think it's fair to say KVM has an uphill battle to fight with the likes of Xen and VMWare on the market.  Ultimately if both products are very good, small margins of performance won't matter to most users.

Red Hat took a big gamble on a niche virtualization technology, since in my opinion they don't have the market muscle to make KVM a dominant player.  Time will tell how this works out for them.  I've also seen posts from people saying (in effect):  "You should try out KVM, it is very good."  I believe they're probably right.  The problem for KVM supporters is they haven't given me any reason to switch.  (And before someone mentions it, I don’t count dom0 support as a reason, since I have no business requirement to run RHEL 6 on each piece of hardware I own.)