Re: [Xen-users] Which kernel for Dual GPU Passthrough?

To: Matthew Hook <matthew.hook@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which kernel for Dual GPU Passthrough?
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 12:44:49 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:46:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=T/6SYfhgDWWxlj2IMSPzQGVR0Hl2nWOw3/estAfcWPc=; b=OwLfDQqmulCTHEnLhQ0WFEWpA1AwYX7qSXRVpzcPH62cWd2aqg2b12fWh2ZqsQfNTs HxZlhKktsnF/sNTPPmrWwkklRSnaG4/pJ9ImiCpGj2jmwkr2qbElrO64LtU6NvMmUiSZ 4NoUw2spufgMjrMLdDZ7IIqoLu/hDlfGVlwmw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Matthew Hook <matthew.hook@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a little new when it comes to XEN so forgive me if this question sounds
> a little basic.
> I'm setting up an Ubuntu Server with Dual AMD HD 6970 GPU cards in it and I
> need the passthrough feature to work with both of these cards.
> The processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and the motherboard supports
> IOMMU.
> Hardware wise, all the right boxes are ticked for this as far as I can tell.
> Now I'm just a little uncertain about the choice of kernel.
> There is a kernel option: CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND
> But this module doesn't appear to be in my stock kernel (or even Kernel 3.0)
> despite the announcement that all the XEN bits are in it?

"Features queued for 3.1:
xen-pciback backend driver to be used in dom0 to support PCI passthru to VMs."

You can track the progress here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Linux_30_bugs
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenKernelFeatures