Re: [Xen-users] Issues starting xend when using network-nat and vif-nat

To: Larry Ing <larry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Issues starting xend when using network-nat and vif-nat Debian
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:50:56 +0300
Cc: xen list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:51:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 01:18:30PM -0700, Larry Ing wrote:
> I am using Debian Squeeze with Xen 4.0.1 and Xen tools 4.1.1.  The
> reason I am using Xen tool 4.1.1 is that Debian's Xen-tools has a bug
> where it is missing hotplugpath.sh and is therefore unable to use
> network-routes and network-nat in the xend-config.sxp file.

You should never mix different hypervisor <-> tools versions like that.

> So I scouted around Debian's bug with a newer xen-tools and tried using
> (network-script network-nat) and (vif-script vif-nat).  Now I get the
> following when doing "/etc/init.d/xend start:"
> http://pastebin.com/NiHrkMv7 .  If I switch back to using
> (network-script network-bridge) and (vif-script vif-bridge), xend seems
> to start because no errors are displayed when running "/etc/init.d/xend
> start," but I am unable to connect to the hypervisor.
>
> On a side note, before having used (network-script network-bridge) and
> (vif-script vif-bridge),  My VMs under Xen were unable to connect to the
> network.  While the VMs were running, I did see extra interfaces under
> ifconfig that did seem to be bridges for the VMs.

Extra interfaces? what do you mean?

> Does anyone have a solutions as to how I can get NAT networking to run
> with Xen or how I can revert back to the bridge method and successfully
> use it?

Bridge should work without any extra steps.
You should probably create the bridges using distro network scripts,
and not have any network-script defined in xend-config.sxp.

See: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/HostConfiguration/Networking

vif-script should be vif-bridge, unless you specify it for every VM for every
vif.

-- Pasi