Re: [Xen-users] blktap/blktap2

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 13:11 -0400, Mike McClurg wrote:
> On 28/07/11 16:31, Walter Robert Ditzler wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > anyone here who knows if blktap and blktap2 are included in mainline kernel
> > 3.0? I have it in my kernel config file included but can't get'em to run.
> >
> > thanks a lot, walter :-)
>
> blktap/blktap2 is not in mainline kernel, and I'm told that it will
> never be accepted there. It does, however, work on Linux 3.0 (686-pae,
> not amd64). Take a look at http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/debian and
> download and install the blktap-dkms package. I may be wrong, but I
> think the source repository for that package is on
> http://xenbits.xen.org. I've got to run, sorry I can't be more help
> right now.

There's a

http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb/?p=people/dstodden/blktap-dkms.git;a=summary

But that's not really what most people would be looking for -- it's
rather generating dkms-tars/debs from a cloned bunch of
blktap/next-x.x.x tree out of

http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb/?p=people/dstodden/linux.git;a=summary

Which are then meant to automatically compile against mainline. They
will auto-patch themselves to match anything between 2.6.32 and 3.x.

Actually I didn't see any announcement that we're exporting packages at
this point, but the directory name looks about right. If s/o (presumably
Jon et al) can get me a login, then I wouldn't mind dropping prebuilt
packages in some subdir in there, regularly.

We're mainly targeting Ubuntu[/Debian] with that stuff, but DKMS is not
a deb-only system. Could generate RPMs too, anywhere where dkms is
supported.

It's not very distro-happy output, which is what Jon's stuff would
eventually produce, but will do the job.

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: The DKMS stuff is mainly to make distribution painless. For folks
building/patching their kernels manually anyway, consider just to remote
my linux.git and just merge a matching blktap/next tree.

PPS: Userspace development tip is at

http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb/?p=people/dstodden/blktap.git;a=summary