Re: [Xen-users] Changes to windows domu without having to re-license?

To: John McMonagle <johnm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Changes to windows domu without having to re-license?
From: Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:11:00 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:12:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/28/2011 12:02 PM, John McMonagle wrote:
> Working on getting a server 2008 domu ready for production.
>
> I needed more disk space so I copied it to a new larger lvm as I needed to
> move it to a new server.
>
> Now it wants me to re-license it.
> I suspect my first  mistake was to not have a mac address specified in  vif
> line.
> It was activated with a MAK licience.
>
> I suppose I could call Microsoft but I'd rather learn how to do it right and
> redo if possible.
> Can one change  size of the  disk with out license issues?
>
> John

If you dd the source LV to the new LV, you will get an exact copy of the
OS. Then you should be able to 'virsh dumpxml domu > ~/domu.xml', edit
the XML to use the new LV, redefine the domU using 'virsh define
~/domu.xml' and boot the VM.

However, I have no idea how or if you can grow the Win2008 server's
filesystem at that point, but the space will be there if it is possible.

note: keep an original copy of the 'domu.xml' in case something goes
wrong. Then you can re-redefine the domU back to it's original LV. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer@xxxxxxxxxxx