[Xen-users] snapshots with vhd-util/blktap2

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] snapshots with vhd-util/blktap2
From: Carsten from Virtastic <carsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:51:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:53:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

According to vhd-util's help, you can create snapshots from VHD files:

# vhd-util snapshot
parent_is_raw] [-h help]

But the question is, how do I use them to revert?

# vhd-util revert

Where does the journal come from? I've noticed that the snapshots themselves
never grow (they remain just a few kb in size).

I can use the scan and check operations and all that, and it's referring to the
parent correctly. So the only bit which I seem to be missing is the journal.

The README, which is linked to from the Xen wiki [1] is not too helpful either,
because it basically only covers creating and using VHD, but everything else
seems to be left as an exercise to the reader. Manpages don't seem to exist.
Anyone here able to shed some light on that subject please? :-)

Thanks!

Cheers
Carsten

[1] http://lxr.xensource.com/lxr/source/tools/blktap2/README