Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.1.1 - xl create and python in config files

To: Sébastien RICCIO <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.1.1 - xl create and python in config files
From: Task Struct From Hell <taskstructfromhell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:12:24 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:13:35 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=ui7Ss9cIykXMtYG8dCL29zPOPh6EQOJu0Lj+y22C9sY=; b=p0S8fSKSDo9+WiLpc3+9K+cKJ9frUTKgo/t0M2u0lSsLoB+j577jssfUZYwrmu8LSd QRL+pw0sAzfbP8eErL9jpJfIJiHCXuKR0lBw0TsiTKt9Vs5uyfu8RDTXEL1IFV8aWkkP mLBQ5h7kM4edVBDxoo4B9I1EvAfYm0Od9drcs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/7/14 Sébastien RICCIO <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> But in the meantime I've get into other issues with xl, such as it doesn't
> support live migrations
> anymore ? It doesn't support remus which needs xend (high availability,
> clone live vm cloning on
> two hosts, no more xmlrpc daemon).

I guess this may be a bug and should be reported. I`d try sending a
report to the xen-users list about the live migration issue you are
currently experiencing. Do note that, VM virtual storage needs to be
agile, eg in an NFS/ISCSI/FC setup seen by both hosts in the same way.
Also, if the VM isn't paravirtualized, it will not migrate.

> On the other side xl seems to "support" tap:vhd block devices without
> letting the dom0 in a
> vegetative state (using xm to create a vm that uses tap2:vhd and ps -aux on
> dom0 is
> hanging, etc).

This might be a bug in blktap / tapdisk activation, run the question
thru the xen-users list and if not much help, send the  question to
the xen-devel list. If you have a serial port, it may be helpful to
log the serial output somewhere and send it to the xen-devel list.

> What will be the future of opensource xen if these features are gone with xm
> / xend ? Is that

xl is new a new and lightweight toolstack. Give it sometime and don't
despair ;-)

> an attempt to force the use of XenServer or XCP ?

XCP is an opensource toolstack which is far better than xend. XS is
opensource and has a free edition. For some uses, it might suit your
needs!

> Atthis point I don't really get what are the positive points to move from
> xm to xl. Do you ?

The positive points at the moment may not be very noticeable or
clearly known yet, but xend is only useful for home setups. It's not
made to scale.

--
---
TSFH