[Xen-users] ubuntu xen PV installer

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] ubuntu xen PV installer
From: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:15:56 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:17:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to install Ubuntu PV guests using the kernel and initrd provided at ftp://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen

when I try to start the VM, the installer works, as long as I use console=hvc0.
Unfortunatelly I *need* the installer to be started in a vnc console so I added the following the VM config file:

extra=" debian-installer/exit/always_halt=true -- console=tty0"
vfb = ['type=vnc' ]

The VM start correctly but the vnc console remains black and I can't complete the install.
I know it works cause this is the method I use to install all my debian guests, but as soon as I use the ubuntu kernel, things go wrong.

Is there any append to pass to the ubuntu kernel that would make console appear in vnc?

P.S: To test, I have tried using the debian kernel with the ubuntu initrd and the get the console in ths vnc session as expected.
P.S2: If I complete the install in xm console (hvc0) and then reboot, I have a getty process that appear in vnc console after boot has completed.