Re: [Xen-users] Re: Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU

To: Oliver Wilcock <oliver@xxxxxxx>, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU
From: Prakhar Srivastava <prakhar.apj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:17:57 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:49:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Thanks a lot to both of you for providing all these valuable information. This has really enhanced my understanding about LVM. The idea  of copying the entire physical partition to a logical volume was really bad.

So, I tried to use virt-install to create a Xen guest image. However I found that virt-install was easier to use with Red Hat/CentOS because it doesnt work out of the box for debian/ubuntu. The installer itself partitioned the Xen virtual disk into root and swap LVs. .I had some issue with CentOS installer where the installer hanged at 0% while downloading essential packages. But I believe I will be able to sort it out.

I have one more query. As stated by Fazar in his last reply, Redhat/CentOS DomU have by default LVM within which allows them to increase the root disk online by xm block-attach command. However, I have read in one of the Xen list discussion that using LVM as DomU backend and also within DomU is not a great idea in terms of performance. I want to have a similar kind of setup and believe that having the flexibility of resizing root disk online is a great plus in a virtualized environment. What are your thoughts on this ??

Thanks,
Prakhar