Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0
From: Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 06:52:50 +0800
Cc: james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:54:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=f9Ban14pde6+QSfzMdhzS9q5E0GU2KX1/qNp1EdHvm8=; b=ubfWXA/Vlxd20RF2yQiziS3AKCzn3k8CYEKOf0uL13ASsgiMkud3QNYKa8+ifFAMTj vpI/DLdD861q2qhomgJv4SxLOgeoo8iSlW68xdor7w98y//A++UP1mc2hT0zSmlgbsNx ZargwXZip7QLVLV8p306jXXaPyjM36Mdmvmxk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2 July 2011 02:07, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, kind of late to this conversation, but a couple of things...
> 1) With regard to original question about the stray "Xen Pci Device 0",
> I see this exact same item in my Device Manager, but it's never been the
> source of any problems.

Yes it didn't bother me much either, but I suspect it may actually be
xenusb (since I don't see any xenusb related entries in device
manager) or something the driver isn't picking up.

> 2) For network performance, can you tell me if you have Checksum
> Offloading enabled on the network device in device manager?  Sorry,
> James, to keep on about this one, but in every Windows VM on any host in
> my environment I have to disable Checksum Offload and Large Send Offload
> to get decent performance.  The difference is quite incredible - I get
> sub-1Mb/s performance with them enabled, and anywhere from 300Mb/s and
> up with it disabled.

Nope, but I gave it a try after your suggestion, turned off "Checksum
Offload", "Large Send Offload" and "Scatter/Gather". Didn't solve my
100% utilisation problem, but it does show some slight ISP to VM speed
improvement ( but that's for the 1meg and 5meg files, too small to be
a fair measure).

Have you tried upgrading xen, Dom0 kernel and compiling your own PV drivers?