Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, multiple network interfaces, network-bridge f

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, multiple network interfaces, network-bridge failing to create multiple bridges
From: Jan Vejvalka <jan.vejvalka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 18:38:54 +0200
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:40:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(...) Does it mean that
the /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script is obsolete ?

Yes it is deprecated. It will be much better and more robust to use
the network scripts in your distribution.

I see, thanks.

Offhand I can't seem to find the slackware documentation on creating
network bridges.

I think that I can get around in Slackware with brctl; what I miss is a
(distribution-independent ?) information on WHAT to do, not on HOW to
do it.

Quoting (almost) http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HostConfiguration/Networking,
I need to know what is the appropriate network configuration that
administrators are required to set up using the tools provided by their
host distribution.

For me, so far most useful was the brief info that describes what
network-bridge does:
# start:
# Creates the bridge as tdev
# Copies the IP and MAC addresses from pdev to bridge
# Renames netdev to be pdev
# Renames tdev to bridge
# Enslaves pdev to bridge

and the diagrams in http://libvirt.org/archnetwork.html#architecture
that "illustrate some of the network configurations enabled by the libvirt networking APIs".

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking , on the other hand,
seems obsolete: I can't see any vethX/vif0.X interfaces in my Dom0.

Thank you for your help,

Jan