[Xen-users] Optimizing CPU Performance

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Optimizing CPU Performance
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:03:16 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:04:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm getting ready to implement a new blade chassis in my environment,
and I'm going to be running Xen on the blades.  The dom0 O/Ss on each of
the blades will be used to batch jobs for some of our engineering
applications.  The reason for running Xen is that I have a few
requirements for applications running on Windows, and I want to be able
to run Windows easily without wasting an entire blade on a Windows
install.

My question really boils down to this: for a Windows HVM, can somebody
provide me some pointers for optimizing performance, especially CPU
performance?  Doing some performance comparisons for a CPU-intensive
application running on native Windows on a workstation vs. a Windows HVM
(comparable processors), the application is anywhere between 20% and 50%
slower on the HVM.  I'm hoping that there are some tweaks that can be
made to bring this performance a little closer for HVMs to native
hardware.  For processor-intensive tasks, is it better to pin vCPUs to
CPUs, or is it better to let Xen decide?  How much does it matter to
configure a weight for the scheduler?

Any tips, hints, experiences, or links to web pages are appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.