Re: [Xen-users] windows and type=paravirtualised

To: Daniel <dandadude@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] windows and type=paravirtualised
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:38:55 +0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 04:40:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Daniel <dandadude@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What benefits do I get if I put "type=paravirtualised" in my network card
> config for a Win2k8 domU with PV drivers installed?
> Is it necessary, will it improve performance?

Short answer: don't put any "type" entry.

Long answer:

Using PV device (network and disk) will improve performance, but you
need PV driver (e.g. GPLPV) in domU as well. Withot PV driver, the PV
device will not be used.

Both device (PV and emulated) should be available to domU by default
without any "type" settings. When there's no PV driver, the emulated
one will be used. When there's PV driver on domU, it should be smart
enough to use PV device ignoring (or hiding) the emulated device. So
there's no need to select "type" explicitly.

--
Fajar