Re: [Xen-users] Starting xend = loss of wireless connection

To: Marc Tousignant <myrdhn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Starting xend = loss of wireless connection
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:33:34 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 07:34:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Marc Tousignant <myrdhn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only change I made to xend-config.sxp was:
>
> (network-script ‘network-bridge netdev=eth1’)

How did you come up with that change?

The general rule is don't do random change unless you really now what
you're doing. Usually the best way is to ask whoever suggested that
change. However, xen's network-bridge change has changed several times
so something that works in another version might not work in this
version.

> If I don’t make this change it uses both wired and wireless and creates
> peth0 and peth1, but eth1 still  vanishes.
>
> If I  change it to eht0 it does nothing to the wireless and only creates the
> peth0 as expected.

Looking inside xen's network-bridge script might tell you more what's
going on, but in this case I'd actually suggest stop using
network-bridge script.

For one, the recommended bridging method now is to create your own
bridges using OS' config files, and not network-bridge script. The
second reason is that when dealing with wireless interface, it's not
enough just creating a bridge, you need to also use ebtables.

> I like xen, I don’t plan to go elsewhere.

The easiest way for you is to create a dummy bridge, then set up NAT
so domU can access outside network (but not the other way around).
Installing libvirt should get you virbr0 which behaves like that,
without having to set up bridging/NAT manually.

--
Fajar