Re: [Xen-users] Debian dom0 Centos domU network xenbr0 and VNC problems

To: Hans Vos <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian dom0 Centos domU network xenbr0 and VNC problems
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:40:25 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 02:42:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Hans Vos <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First I tried running a dom0 environment from CentOS. I followed this
> tutorial (http://goo.gl/toOE0) and got a CentOS domU running.

It works, right? There's also virt-manager which you can use.

> I also tried
> following this tutorial (http://goo.gl/K9wj7) but I could not connect to the
> VNC server.

Tutorials for Xen is somewhat hit-and-miss. If your environment is not
exactly the same, you usually need some changes (like what the network
bridge name is).

> I found out that Debian 6 had the latest version of Xen as a
> package. As I'm more familiar with Debian I figured I would rather have a
> Debian dom0 environment.

Ouch. You just deliberately make stuff much harder for yourself.
Debian is great, but it's not exactly suitable for a "newbie" to use
as dom0. It doesn't work out the box like Centos does (for example,
the default bridge is not set up until you edit some files).

> I also read something about using native
> Debian network bridging. Should I switch to that?

Definitely, create your own bridge by creating your own entry on
/etc/network/interfaces.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, better stick to Centos dom0
and it's stock Xen. Really.
Then you can try compiling your own version of Xen and dom0 kernel.
After that, you can pretty much use any distro you want as base.

--
Fajar