Re: [Xen-users] XenServer console displays bootup but can't receive keyb

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XenServer console displays bootup but can't receive keyboard input?
From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:15:49 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:16:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, March 24, 2011 4:08 pm, George Shuklin wrote:
> 1. Check if echo is enabled (if you are using something like minicom)
> 2. Check in no one have access to device except your application (i'm
> talking about dom0)
> 3. For login as root you must allow thin in securetty in domU.

Hi George,

I've been trying to help him a bit today on the Gentoo-user mailing list
(Did point him to this list as well), so I know a bit about what he is
facing, but I am not familiar with XenServer.

He is off for the rest of the day (timezone issues), but I would like to
find out some more info about XenServer in order to help him when he comes
back :)

With regards to your questions:
1) How would one use minicom to access a domU? Isn't minicom only used to
access machines over a serial link?
2) How would he check this? (Please note, when using HVM, he can login)
3) The problem is that no key-presses are registered on the "console"
where "login: " is displayed after all the config-screens.

I do manage to login to Gentoo domUs on my Xen installation, but I install
the xen-tools and xend hypervisor myself on a Gentoo dom0. So not 100%
sure where the differences may be.

Thanks for any help/ideas/input/advice/...

Joost Roeleveld