Re: [Xen-users] Xen second VGA passthrough

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen second VGA passthrough
From: "Marek Kaszycki" <marek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 23:41:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:42:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To answer the question, Xen >= 4.0.0 supports secondary VGA passthrough:
Xen 4.0.0 supports VGA passthrough of the primary graphics adapter (the one that gets initialized and is used when you power-on the computer) only. VGA passthrough of secondary graphics adapters currently requires additional extra patches to Xen.

So far I've been unable to find those extra patches (mainly because I have just one graphics board in the PC), but it's possible.

This does raise one question for me, though... I know this seems rather far-fetched, but is it possible to pass a secondary output port to DomU, while using a primary output port in Dom0? My 5850 has four outputs, 2×DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP. This goes further -- would it be possible to use a KVM switch to route the keyboard, mouse and DVI to separate I/O ports? I know the idea sounds wild, but it would enable live switching between domains -- map two USB ports and one video output to Dom0 and two other USB ports and another video output to DomU?

Regards,
Marek