Re: [Xen-users] grub commands problem with Ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> on grub command prompt I tried
>
> grub>insmod multiboot
>
> error: file not found
>
> then
> grub>insmod multiboot2
> error: file not found

Start with those two. The simple answer to that is you don't have
multiboot grub module correctly installed. Lots of things can cause
that, but my guess is your installer (Wubi?) does not correctly setup
the boot directory. It only copy the files it seems necessary, while
it should copy all.

The "normal" way to fix this is don't use Wubi. Don't boot from a
loopback in ntfs. It's a somewhat advanced setup, while you don't have
enough experience/knowledge to troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination.
Stick with normal installation methods, using partitions. Or use
virtualbox if you just want to do some tests.

> Ok by now I pressed tab on grub command prompt to understand know what
> commands are
> there so there I did not see multiboot
> as a command neither is multiboot2
> that probably is the reason it is failing.
>
>> - lsmod --> you should see ntfs there
> Yes I do see it here
>
>> - ls --> you should see your disk and partition in the form of (hd0)
>> (hd0,1) and so on)
> Yes when I do
> grub>ls
> (loop0) (hd0) (hd0,5)  (hd0,4)  (hd0,2)  (hd0,1)
>
>> - ls (hd0,2)/boot/grub/multiboot.mod

Here's a basic question. Where is your /boot directory located?
If it's on your ntfs partition, does it have /boot/grub? Does it have
/boot/grub/multiboot.mod? It needs it to be able to boot Xen
correctly.

> menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.32.27" {
>       insmod ntfs
>       set root='(hd0,2)'
>       search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 96f65c80f65c6313
>       loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
>       set root=(loop0)
>       linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.27 root=/dev/sda2
> loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro   quiet splash
>       initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.27
> }

It looks like your grub setup has just enough modules to use loopback
file on ntfs, but the ACTUAL /boot directory is on the loopback NOT
ntfs (hd0,2). Therefore any attempt to read any files from (hd0,2)
simply wont work, cause there's no file there.

> even on grub prompt
> grub> insmod multiboot or
> grub> insmod multiboo2
> gives same error I mentioned
> error: file not found
>
> Any thing else you feel  I can try?

Don't use Wubi. Don't boot from a loopback in ntfs. It's a somewhat
advanced setup, while you don't have enough experience/knowledge to
troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination. Stick with normal installation
methods, using partitions. Or use virtualbox if you just want to do
some tests. Normal installation will work.

Since this is not Xen-specific, but rather wubi - grub - multiboot
issue, you should ask their maintainer/list/forum.

--
Fajar