Re: [Xen-users] How to install OpenIndiana DomU

To: Christophe Bailleux <ch.bailleux@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to install OpenIndiana DomU
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:55:18 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 07:56:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Christophe Bailleux
<ch.bailleux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install OpenIndiana on domU.
> My dom0 is runnning under Debian Squeeze.
>
> Do you have any information about it ? Maybe a config sample ?

Funny thing about that. INSTALLING is currently easier than RUNNING it :P

Installing it as HVM domU should be straight forward, so I'm going to
write what I learned installing it as PV domU. You can run Openindiana
(I tested b148) and Solaris 11 Express (I tested 2010.11) Live ISO by
simply using pygrub. The config is something like this (tested on Xen
4.0.1)

#=============================
memory = "1024"
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
disk =  [
        "file:/data/iso/oi.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
        "phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
        ]

vcpus=1
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
localtime = 1
on_shutdown = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
#=============================

To make your life easy, use a bridge that has dhcp server on it. If
you have libvirt/virt-manager installed, there should a be a virbr0
that you can use.

Once you got the text console login, you can get X session with vnc
following http://blogs.sun.com/mrj/entry/installing_opensolaris_on
(search for "jack", start from there). If you need root access, you
can use "sudo -s".

After installation completes, now comes the complicated part.
openindiana comes with zfs pool version 28, which seems to be newer
than what pygrub supports. So don't shutdown/reboot yet, cause there's
couple of things you must do first:
- copy the kernel (/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix) and ramdisk
(/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive) from the installation root
(forgot what the path was on live session, should be easy to find out)
to dom0, using scp/rsync/whatever.
- find out what your "/" dataset is (Try running "zfs list". It should
be "rpool/ROOT/openindiana")
- find out what your domU disk is detected as (Try "format". It should
be "/xpvd/xdf@51712" for xvda).

Then you can shutdown the live session. Create a new config file that
looks something like this

#=============================
memory = "1024"
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
disk =  [
        "phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
        ]

vcpus=1
kernel = "/vm/oi/boot/unix"
ramdisk = "/vm/oi/boot/boot_archive"
extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B
zfs-bootfs=rpool/ROOT/openindiana,bootpath='/xpvd/xdf@51712:a'"
localtime = 1

The "zfs-bootfs" part points to your "/" dataset, while "bootpath"
points to domU disk's first slice. Note that the end of "extra" line
has both single quote (') and double quote (").

Good luck.

--
Fajar