RE: [Xen-users] Slow windows network with gplpv driver.

To: "John Weekes" <lists.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Slow windows network with gplpv driver.
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:49:36 +1100
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:51:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-08/msg00567.html

> Have you tried changing the MAC address on the virtual network
> interfaces for these slow domains? I had one customer who was seeing
> only 10 Mbps, and adjusting the MAC address to anything else fixed it.
> still do not know why that was the case, but some limitation in Xen or
> driver seemed to have been at play.

This could happen if the user thought they could make up any random MAC
address. Certain bits in the MAC address indicate multicast and
broadcast address types, and setting one of those could have nasty
consequences for the whole network.

Using a duplicate MAC address would also cause problems, although it
would be unusual for it to just slow things down.

There is nothing else about a MAC address that should make any
difference though.

James