RE: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks after somet

To: "Philipp Hahn" <hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks after sometime (Xen 3.4.3 amd64)
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:47:23 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:49:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello,
>
> one of our domU Windows system with GPL-PV driver regularly has
problems
> with its network connection: After some time the VM does not receive
any
> packets anymore. It's seems to be only a problem with receiving, since
sending
> ARP packets still works:
>
>       tcpdump -i vif147.0 -n arp | grep -FA1 --color XXX.X.71.77
>
> If I try to ping the domU from the dom0, I only see the request going
to the
> domU, but no answer:
>       13:49:17.106405 arp who-has XXX.X.71.77 tell XXX.X.12.47
>
> If I try to ping some host from the domU, I see the request leaving
the domU
> and the answer arriving for the domU, but no following ICMP messaged:
>       13:48:37.569618 arp who-has XXX.X.22.12 tell XXX.X.71.77
>       13:48:37.570002 arp reply XXX.X.22.12 is-at 00:16:3e:aa:ed:fa
>
> We have saved the state of the VM to a file, which when restored puts
the domU
> back in the broken state.
>
> We collected some information, but now are stuck on how to best
proceed, since
> we don't know enough of Xens and GPLPVs internal working.
> Can we (or someone els) diagnose, why received packages are not
properly
> handled?
> Should we install the debug driver and what should we do when the
problem next
> occurs. (I'm not afraid of debuggers and assembler, but only on Linux
and not
> much with Windows)

Do you have any Linux PV domains?

If you install the debug version of the driver then you'll get info
written to /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domUname>.log which might show
something useful

Also, try turning off all the offload functions in the advanced
properties of the network adapter under Linux.

Does your Dom0 have any GRE tunnels? I have seen problems when these are
used before, but that's a Dom0 routing interaction with checksum
offloading.

James