Re: [Xen-users] Handling xvd device naming

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Handling xvd device naming
From: Caleb Tennis <caleb.tennis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:35:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 05:40:34 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:content-type:mime-version:subject:from :in-reply-to:date:content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to :x-mailer; bh=m7AEmBFmKCiugULRe8SBDwuLQax3zXDfai+zc8h4hL4=; b=rpj4qrrZzm+MAPDSZ11EBaoJX+lAY/9o12Dp5bvSe6NTP8yHnfy/3GhhPCplb3kieA hTi5i+ioTzzwuH1GmL1pmp2qCQLmvST8Ok0s7MEss1J2HOV/C+Y0YnhGt8s90z2WRb5t u5LxIljhwbsjqJbK8xk9mGdt3OqdV67DDg71M=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Do you have access to Amazon's domU config file by any chance? Just
> guessing, the config file might be using hda.

I don't have access to it.  However, other kernel versions work fine. (Fedora
2.6.34 kernel doesn't have this behavior)

> I had a similar problem using Oracle's kernel-uek on RHEL5 PV domU.
> Turns out in my case the problem only happens when my domU config file
> uses hda. When I change domU config file to use xvda it works just
> fine. As a workaround, you can change fstab and grub.conf to use LABEL
> or UUID so it wouldn't matter what device name they actually appear
> as.

Yes, I can do this to boot up a test system, but our systems are currently
structured under the original assumption and it would be a major feat to change
that.

> BTW, (202,1) is xvda1, not xvda.

Right, sorry, was just using as an example.  /dev/xvda1 -> /dev/xvde1 is what's
happening in my case (and /dev/xvdb -> /dev/xvdf, etc)

So it sounds like maybe this is a new a feature of Xen at some point to map hda
to xvde and later?

Caleb