Re: [Xen-users] domU kernel from source capable of live migration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU kernel from source capable of live migration
From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:33:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:34:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the response, wasn't sure if I should be posting this to -dev
mailing list. Figured I would start with user first.

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 10:27 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Did you try exactly 2.6.36.0 and 2.6.37.0 ?
> Later updates to those have many bugfixes.

Not 100% on which versions, if they were .0 or later. I am using Gentoo
sources for the most part, but I have also tried regular vanilla sources
via portage, which come straight from kernel.org. I am not sure the
vanilla ones in portage are current, there is no 2.6.38.

Let me try working with newer stuff from kernel.org directly and I will
report back. I kinda have a feeling that its not possible to build a
domU from source capable of live migration with regular sources at this
time. Seems allot of xen support is being added into the mainstream
kernel, thus likely bugs or things not 100% yet in that process.

> I'd recommend you to try 2.6.32.29 aswell.

Which 2.6.32.29, xen sources or kernel.org?

> What kernel cmdline options are you using?
> You should have "console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen" at least.

The only command line option is the console=hvc0 one, I do not have the
earlyprintk=xen, and I am getting normal output. Everything is fine with
the kernels up to 2.6.36, boot and run just fine. Just cannot live
migrate them or even save the vm state.

When I try to use a 2.6.37 kernel, it boots but lacks PMU so I get no
networking, and with nfsroot, end up kernel panic unable to mount
rootfs.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Obsidian-Studios, Inc.