Re: [Xen-users] Remus: network buffering problem

On 2011-02-18, at 7:04 PM, Wenda Ni <wonda.ni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, Todd

I realize what you mean. <330.gif> Hope Shriram can shed some light to us!

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Adding our new remus maintainer to the CC

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Wenda Ni <wonda.ni@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Many thanks to Simon for his trouble shooting on live migration. I have now
> started testing remus according to the remus link
> http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/doc.html
>
> 1) Remus in its simplest mode (--no-net option), without disk replication or
> network protection, is now working good.
>
> 2) When we add the network buffering protection (remove the --no-net
> option), remus gives the error as follows:
>
> modprobe -q ifb
>
> modprobe -q imq

Have you installed the ifb module?
You have to enable it while configuring the dom0 kernel.
 Device Drivers-->network devices-->Intermediate Frame Buffer

You also need to enable a whole bunch of other things
 Networking ->QoS ->Ingress, actions, mirred, redirect, etc
  and Plug Queue (NET_SCH_PLUG).

You are better off at the moment to just enable all or most of the stuff
under Netfilter and Qos as modules. Might make your task easier.

Btw thanks for pointing this out. These should probably be enabled by the
kernel build scripts (buildconfigs/enable-xen-config ) or some such place.

Shriram

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/remus", line 210, in <module>
>     run(cfg)
>   File "/usr/bin/remus", line 119, in run
>     bufs.append(BufferedNIC(vif))
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/remus/device.py", line
> 272, in __init__
>     self.pool = Netbufpool(selectnetbuf())
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/remus/device.py", line
> 174, in selectnetbuf
>     raise BufferedNICException('no net buffer available')
> xen.remus.device.BufferedNICException: no net buffer available
> Exception AttributeError: "'BufferedNIC' object has no attribute 'bufdev'"
> in <bound method BufferedNIC.__del__ of <xen.remus.device.BufferedNIC object
> at 0xd9dd90>> ignored
>
> I googled, but find little useful info. Could anyone know my problem?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Wenda Ni, Ph.D.
> Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
> State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo

Cheers,

Wenda Ni, Ph.D.
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo
T: 716 982 6746