RE: [Xen-users] HVM support Debian Squeeze

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:41:59 -0200 <lucianobarreto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'll try it again. Just a strange question, when i cat /proc/cpuinfo i
> cant see informations about vmx on Debian, but it shows on Centos and
> Ubuntu.. i cant understand...

I believe this is to be expect WHEN you are booted in your dom0 with the use of
the hypervisor.

>From my system:

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 30
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz
stepping    : 5
cpu MHz        : 2800.162
cache size    : 8192 KB
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 11
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr mca cmov pat clflush
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc
aperfmperf pni est ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm ida
bogomips    : 5600.32
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

but notice from the xm dmesg output:

(XEN) Xen version 4.0.1 (Debian 4.0.1-2) (waldi@xxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.4.5 (
Debian 4.4.5-10) ) Wed Jan 12 14:04:06 UTC 2011
(XEN) Bootloader: GRUB 1.98+20100804-14
(XEN) Command line: placeholder dom0_mem=2G dom0_max_vcpus=4

(XEN) Detected 2800.162 MHz processor.
(XEN) Initing memory sharing.
(XEN) VMX: Supported advanced features:
(XEN)  - APIC MMIO access virtualisation
(XEN)  - APIC TPR shadow
(XEN)  - Extended Page Tables (EPT)
(XEN)  - Virtual-Processor Identifiers (VPID)
(XEN)  - Virtual NMI
(XEN)  - MSR direct-access bitmap
(XEN) EPT supports 2MB super page.
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d DMA Passthrough not supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping not supported.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN)  - Dom0 mode: Relaxed
(XEN) Total of 8 processors activated.

Hope that clears it up, the Xen hypervisor reserves vmx for itself.

-M