Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:19:59 +0100
Cc: Paul Piscuc <paul.piscuc@xxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Guido Hecken <guido.hecken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Sun <msun@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 01:21:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 11 February 2011 09:56:47 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Paul Piscuc <paul.piscuc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok, cool. What about reinstalling the system, to rebuild the boot sector
> > ( or better, restore with dd from an earlier backup - let's assume a
> > week old), and then use rdiff to bring the system up to date, from a
> > more recent backup ? To be tested.
> >
> > Again, the purpose of this thread is to find an incremental backup
> > solution. DD and other methods work fine, but you cannot do daily backups
> > on 8 machines with 100GB storage, and keep those backups for a week or
> > more. Also, if one would like to restore a single file from the image,
> > things will get ugly.
>
> The "easy" solution form your problem is zfs :)
>
> Have you considered using a separate storage server, with
> nexenta/solaris/whatever-os-that-supports-zfs, and exporting them to your
> dom0 using iscsi?

Fajar,

you mean because of it's snapshotting capabilities? Would you have the DomU
live on this filesystem and snapshot it like that? Does this work faster than
LVM snapshots (I noticed a horrible performance drop)? And what about the
problem of integrity?

thx!!

B.