[Xen-users] Virtual Machine Interfaces

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Virtual Machine Interfaces
From: Russell Seymour <russell.seymour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:53:33 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 05:54:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Good afternoon,

I have a host on which I am running Xen.  I have succesfully created a new guest machine and I can connect to it using routed networking.  I am not able to used bridged due to restrictions with my hosting company.

This server has a connection to my VPN on interface tap0.  I would like to add another interface to each of my virtual machines on this VPN network which means that I need to be able to route over the tap0 interface (I think).  However I have not been able to accomplish this and searching around the internet has not provided me with a complete answer.  If anyone has any pointers on this please can you forward them on?

I know I could probably run OpenVPN on each of the virtual machines, but that would mean traffic is being sent back and forth between remote servers rather than on the one network on the host, e.g. if machine A wants to communicate with machine B on the VPN network and they are both hosted on the same host.

Both the host and the virtual machines are running Debian 5 64 bit.

Thanks very much,

Russell Seymour

PS I have seen lots of articles / posts about OpenVPN and people saying that it should be a question for that list, however as I am trying to route the traffic after VPN endpoint around a virtual network I thought this would be the better list.