Re: [Xen-users] XEN - VM CPU usage / VM disk corruption

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN - VM CPU usage / VM disk corruption
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:07:07 -0500
Cc: Vitor Sarabando <vitor.sarabando@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 03:08:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:from:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id :subject:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=p7e272qGSd2uKgDT+EywcrHE43duFHvRYXHybuYWIO0=; b=oihndRNwmEbsPzWqshPtMJyowm4ZasPkYQyZU82ZqhsrJwaXze08qCGM5a5x7M+bJq wqqT/MQUxaznOvjEmYwlRMAKqcdt9Vh9wnTa4QZ2xcNogb+TeYfCX4K19FwF2awAukMT LXMCjMkC0okqGL0FQ5VqnyLQQUOrhd9hnJcsg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Todd Deshane wrote:

> Just checking, since you didn't specify. The Xen version is the one
> included in Centos 5.5 and the packages are up to date?
>
> 1. Yes we are running the included version odf centos 5.5, and the system is
> updated.

>> We have experiencing some issues:
>>
>> -          Slow VM usage.
>
> How do you characterize this, what metrics are you using?
>

>> -          We have to click icon’s on console twice.
>>

> 2. (reply in 3)

> What console?
>

> 3. When we open the VM console (VNC) we wave double or triple lick the
> options to get them going.

>> -          High CPU usage (always 99%) on Xen Monitor with no activity on
> VM client (below 5%)
>>

> Nothing is running on the VM?
>
> Can you post some log files? For example, the xend log. dmesg in the
> guest, xm dmesg, etc. anything that could give some more information.
>
> 4. Can you specify who to get the logs? My Linux Knowledge is limited.

In the dom0 console, /var/log/xend.log. Also run xm dmesg.

>> -          VM Disk corruption (VM disk file based)
>>

> How? What operations caused this and how did you determine corruption?
>

> 5. At some point we restarted the OS client (Windows 2000 Server), and the
> system didn't start anymore, we booted from an alternate VM disk and we
> checked the disk didn't and is completely unusable, partition corruption,
> file corruption, the works.
>

> Providing more information to the list allows us to give better suggestions.
>
> For example, have you tried over types of guests? Linux, PV, etc.?
> Similar problems?
>
> Also, you may find hints by searching xen.markmail.org for similar issues.

> We goggle around, but we didn’t found any similar problem. The only strange
> thing is CPU usage always near 100% on host machine, the same on Xen console
> and the Client VM is running idle.

I still wonder if this is actually usage or a clock problem.

> Another strange problem is we have to multiple click the desktop icons or
> 'Start menu' option to get them going. We we install the VM we had several
> BSOD,that we related to low memory available on host only 2Gb.
>
> We upgrade to 6Gb had we never had that experience. We created a virtual
> disk (file based) of 150Gb, can this present a problem?
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

Please post your guest config files and be sure to reply to all to
include the xen-users list as others may have good suggestions and
insights.

Thanks,
Todd