Re: [Xen-users] Yet another question about multiple NICs

To: Philippe Combes <Philippe.Combes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Yet another question about multiple NICs
From: Thomas Jensen <tom.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:53 -0600
Cc: Felix Kuperjans <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:33:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:22:28 +0100, Philippe Combes
<Philippe.Combes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>

> Thomas Jensen wrote :
>> Philippe,
>> > I too struggled at first with multiple NICs in a Debian Lenny machine. >
>> > The problem became a lot easier to fix when I set udev rules on the
>> NICs.  Otherwise, I noticed that the same NIC would come online with a
>> different name (eth0, eth1, etc.) after a reboot.
>
> I have no such problem. The ordering of the interfaces is stable over
> the reboots, on the dom0 as well as on the domU's.
>

>> Finally, I had found an article on the Debian site which provided some
>> guidance on the Xen wrapper script when I was setting up my machine. >
>> However, the article had a typo or something in it which wasn't working
>> for me.  I remember posting a comment on the site which fixed the issue
>> for me.  I could try to find that article again and/or share the wrapper
>> script that ended up working for my setup.
>
> Oh yes please, that may be very interesting !

Philippe,

This is the article I was referring to:
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/470/Using_multiple_network_cards_in_XEN_3.0

Make sure to read all the comments as there are some corrections and
updates to the article.

The combination of udev rules, this modified wrapper script, and a few
DNS entries on my DomUs were the three steps I needed to take in order
to get multiple NICs configured on my Debian Lenny setup.