Re: [Xen-users] Sharing Disk Access Time

On 12/15/2010 05:26 PM, Russ Purinton wrote:
> I’m guessing Yes based on this:
>
> [root@xen1 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep scsi_hostadapter
> I notice that whenever I build a new VM and it gets to where it is
> allocating the img file, the entire time it is allocating the space for
> it, all my other virtual machines effectly stop doing anything.

This is not only an issue on xen but also on kvm. I have seen big differrences in between installing windows vm's on ext4 and installing on bare lvm volumes. file-space allocation on ext4 is very expensive. because of this I only use vm's on bare lvm's. Stacking two transactional filesystems (nfts on ext3/4 or ext3/4 on ext3/4) seems a bad idea to me anyway.

--
Hans