Re: [Xen-users] Hypervisor hangs on startup

To: Arno Toell <at@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Hypervisor hangs on startup
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:51:32 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:53:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I managed to get the serial terminal working. This is what I get from
> the hypervisor:
>
> > (XEN) Brought up 16 CPUs
> >

> > (XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
> >

> > (XEN)  Xen  kernel: 64-bit, lsb, compat32
> >

> > (XEN)  Dom0 kernel: 64-bit, PAE, lsb, paddr 0x1000000 -> 0x16b6000
> >

> > (XEN) PHYSICAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
> >

> > (XEN)  Dom0 alloc.:   0000000c50000000->0000000c60000000 (12345335 pages to
> > be allocated)
> >
> > (XEN) VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
> >

> > (XEN)  Loaded kernel: ffffffff81000000->ffffffff816b6000
> >

> > (XEN)  Init. ramdisk: ffffffff816b6000->ffffffff83064200
> >

> > (XEN)  Phys-Mach map: ffffffff83065000->ffffffff88f14fb8
> >

> > (XEN)  Start info:    ffffffff88f15000->ffffffff88f154b4
> >

> > (XEN)  Page tables:   ffffffff88f16000->ffffffff88f61000
> >

> > (XEN)  Boot stack:    ffffffff88f61000->ffffffff88f62000
> >

> > (XEN)  TOTAL:         ffffffff80000000->ffffffff89000000
> >

> > (XEN)  ENTRY ADDRESS: ffffffff81506200
> >

> > (XEN) Dom0 has maximum 16 VCPUs
> >

> > (XEN) Scrubbing Free RAM: done.
> >

> > (XEN) Xen trace buffers: disabled
> >

> > (XEN) Std. Loglevel: Errors and warnings
> >

> > (XEN) Guest Loglevel: Nothing (Rate-limited: Errors and warnings)
> >

> > (XEN) *** Serial input -> DOM0 (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch input
> > to Xen)
> >
> > (XEN) Freed 176kB init memory.
> >

> > mapping kernel into physical memory
> >

> > Xen: setup ISA identity maps
> >

> > about to get started...
> >

> > (XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5 seconds.
>

> Nothing but the last line seem suspicious to me. As said, I'll happily
> provide you debug information, if you tell me what exactly you do need.

Please add "console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen initcall_debug debug loglevel=10"
options for the dom0 Linux kernel (vmlinuz) and try again.

Btw there was reports of random problems on Dell R710 with *Solaris,
some servers working OK, while others kept crashing,
all using exact same hardware/software models/versions/firmwares.

-- Pasi