Re: [Xen-users] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

To: rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?
From: Erwan RENIER <erwan.renier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:56:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:58:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Le 11/12/2010 17:15, Rudi Ahlers a écrit :
If you use any NAS (or a SAN) devices, what do you use? And I'm
referring more to larger scale network storage than your home PC or
home theater system.

We've had very good experiences with our NetGear ReadyNAS devices but
I'm in the market for something new. The NetGear's aren't the cheapest
ones around but they do what it says on the box. My only real gripe
with them is the lack of decent scalability.

TheCus devices seems to be rather powerful as well, and you can stack
upto 5 units together. But that's where the line stops.

I'm now looking for something that could scale beyond 100TB on one
device (not necessarily one unit though) and find it frustrating that
most NAS's come in 1U or 2U at most.

Maybe I'm just not shopping around enough, or maybe I prefer to well
known brands, I don't know.

So, what do you use?
How well does it work for you?
And, how reliable / fast / scalable is it?

You can use san with fc fabrics, it's the top performance solution for large scale clustered virtual servers with network storage. It's the most expensive too....( you can try fcoe or iscsi instead, which, i believe, will be less expensive ) But i don't see the point to have a 100T device, data is meant to be accessed and processed. if you have 100T of virtual machines you must have the bandwith for io operations too, the cpu to make them run , the memory and so on. In this case you mount your lun on demand on the server which will run the associated VM.