Re: [Xen-users] PV DomU kernel upgrade

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PV DomU kernel upgrade
From: Marcin Kuk <marcin.kuk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:47:35 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:50:22 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=bVfqDxwYTgkyVFh9rC/kFHyOpf1AAFxH5cyvXdDm8L4=; b=xYxMuaqYYYOVNO8jwSOikiyyBS6Xuejr2runuPs//Ra/okf5/6uzf7x2tKRXkUbfJe ra4EDBABwSTvEl0SlEGmOnjdgeLOfpP+18GzxAldtpVzzKJtLz6j3h18qRNc4vvLpEqF z5fssgYJfVvrDF1ywMHtBrnG9MfIzdCt0gJ60=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2010/12/2 Jean Baptiste FAVRE <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> One of my collegue asked me if it is possible to update PV DomU kernel
> without reboot.

Yes, you can update, but new kernel will used after reboot. It's
because once loaded kernel is uncompresed and is stored into memory -
it isn't readed again after boot.

> Have to say that I did never think about it: I kept rebooting domU after
> kernel update, like I do with traditional servers.
>
> Now, what if I update DomU kernel on the first dom0 and try to migrate
> VMs from the second one ? Will it work ? Normally I would say that it
> should behave like traditionnal servers, that is that we should reboot domU.

I don't know if I understand you. After boot process kernel is into
memory, so if live migration process move all processes with ram
alocated - it should work.

Regards,
Marcin Kuk