Re: [Xen-Users] System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linu

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-Users] System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3
From: Joaquin Fernandez Piqueras <jfernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:06:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:08:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Al 25/11/10 00:16, En/na Marek Kaszycki ha escrit:
Hi Everyone

I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen another go.

I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with rc1 failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).

As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively and under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32, please bear with me. Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear just to blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to confirm just what exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console attached -- so I am unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.

I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel myself, following the advice on http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe the hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the hypervisor wants to boot dom0.

I have checked the threads:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice, I have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after "Scrubbing free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything, and just stays this way.

I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following locations:
http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg
http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi,

I have the same issue with a server with 32GB of RAM. In my case the system reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" when the dom0_mem parameter is 16GB or less. I don't know if my problem is related , but I workarrounded it setting dom0_mem=17GB and when the system boots I decrease this value to 2GB with the "xm mem-set" command.

It's not the best solution, but really I don't know how to get the "dom0_mem=2GB" work.

Quimi