[Xen-users] booting XP under Xen on Centos 5 x64

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] booting XP under Xen on Centos 5 x64
From: Mike Greco <mgreco2k@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:26:15 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:27:25 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=69HV6XhOoN3Ao30vtDaUpxCOcnlEuhwxWD3EP5+eIYc=; b=e3dpfgQCnKPEy2j9SIhWcxKcqgPMCCbOFJkzQokhcd/G7xJ8L4X6GUkECPOoc7L/W3 E88z1ofK8jseFU+H9UGKRQFiy0lt+24koytJFBxW57sRBuQj/v7MlVEx1xpR+AsY0fZ+ rv/PAnGriOaWuroEJxUtWGxxb4Bf8EPFAJs7s=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am having one hell of a time converting an XP SP3 x86 installation to bootable image that Xen can deal with (then again I did mention this was XP)

I am running Xen under Centos 5 x64 (I can provide "uname -a" if that helps) and trying to boot XP. So I how got to where I am is as follows :

1) I dumped a disk that had XP on an NTFS to a file using dd starting the dump to begin at offset 63...
dd if=/dev/sdd1 of=/media/disk1/xp3.img offset=63

2) I then run fdisk on the file and set up a partition (actually the 1st partition) to being at sector 63 to the end of the disk. There are various tricks to do this a) using losetup to map a loopback device to the file and then running fdisk on that loopback device OR b) just passing the file as an arg to fdisk. At the end of this fdisk -u -l /media/disk/xp3.img show me I have one partition that being at offset 63 and it's bootable and it's type 7 (HPFS/NTFS).

3) I set up my guest using virt-manager, give it 2GB memory, and tell it to run fully virt under Xen_64, and giving it the XP install cd. The guest then boots and I go into the recovery console. The console sees my windows installation (C:\windows) and I log into it. I then run "fixmbr" and every this is happy so I exit.

At this point the guest restarts and the console window says it's booting but hangs. The cpu meter for the guests goes up to about 50% and sits there and until I shutdown the guest using virt-manager. The XP splash screen NEVER comes up. Any takers on how to debug this or suggestions ?

Thanks
Mike