[Xen-users] XenSource API - VBD.get_VDI and guest agents

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XenSource API - VBD.get_VDI and guest agents
From: Andrew White <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:02:57 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:04:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey all!

I've been writing a custom interface to administrate Xen internally using the API. I'm doing ok, but I've got a couple of questions:

1) To get a list of VBDs from a VM, I call VM.getVBD(session, VM ref) - works like a charm, and I get back all the correct VBD refs. I've tried since though calling VBD.get_VDI(session, VBD ref) (the refs pulled from the previous call) and I get back a blank response. It's quite strange - I get a success message, but the returned value is blank. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

2) I understand I can't call any metrics, as there is no guest agent running on my machines (all HVM non modified OSes). I've used various virtualisation platform in the past and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a current guest agent that works with XenSource? Or a project being worked on? Or in the right direction of how to build my own custom guest agent?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew