Re: [Xen-users] DomU network dies

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU network dies
From: Olav Lavell <olav@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:17:57 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:19:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:23:15 +0700, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Olav Lavell <olav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[..]

>> I tried to use "post-up ethtool -K eth0 tx off" in the
>> /etc/network/interfaces file of the DomU, because the comment says it
>> "might resolve problems for some users." It doesn't in my case.
>
> try doing it on dom0 as well.

Thank you, Fajar, for your suggestion.

This will have to wait until the weekend when I have more time and
physical access to the computer. I just tried it earlier this afternoon but
it took the Dom0 a much longer time to boot and bring up the network. Not
sure what was going on so I undid the change as quickly as I got access
again.

Just to be clear, should I apply the ethtool-command to the eth0 interface
or to the peth0 and/or vif1.0 on the Dom0?

>> Because I am quite new to Xen I have no clue about how to troubleshoot
>> this situation. My attempts at googling probably were a little
uneducated
>> as well. Any hints would be appreciated. If I need to post log files,
>> configuration files or any command output I will gladly do so as well.
>>
>> I have thought of "downgrading" to Debian Lenny (after all, Squeeze is
>> still the "testing" distro) and Xen 3.2 (I prefer to use whatever
version
>> of Xen that Debian offers as packages).
>
> The thing I'm not sure Debian is the "best" distro for people like
> you, who like to use the distro's packages and would like it to "just
> work". I'd actually recommend you simply use Centos5. Others on this
> list have suggested Opensuse 11.3, but with updated kernel from
> opensuse kotd. Or even Fedora 13, with third-party RPMs.

Why, exactly? I am comfortable with Debian in general. It's just Xen that
I need to become more familiar with (I'm on my way, if just slowly). But if
there is something inherently broken in Debian's Xen I would like to know
of course.

> If you're willing to compile from source, you can use latest Xen and
> pv_ops kernel. See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0 ,
> tutorials section in particular.

I would rather not, too lazy to manage updates etc.

>> But will I be able to just copy my
>> DomU files (images and configuration) over to the "older" version and
>> still use them?
>
> Should be possible, regardles of what your dom0 distro is.

OK, thanks. I worried perhaps Xen 4 uses different image formats or
something. It is good to know I have the option of downgrading. I
understand Debian Lenny + Xen 3 is a tried and tested combination that
shouldn'g give me too much trouble.

Meanwhile, to keep my server going I made a little monitoring script that
executes every 5 minutes from cron on the Dom0. It pings the DomU and when
it doesn't get a reply, writes a line to a log file and reboots the whole
machine. Ugly but effective.

--
Olav Lavell <olav@xxxxxxxxx>