Re: [Xen-users] Cloning VM from Xen

Benjamin Knoth wrote:

I found it in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-persistent-net.rules
This file include the following lines

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:16:3e:00:00:12",
IMPORT="/l
ib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:16:3e:00:00:d5",
IMPORT="/l
ib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth1"

Eth0 is the old network interface which i find also in Yast.
I think eth1 was automatically added by xen from the config file but i
find it in Yast and (see on the top) the os also find it.
Should i changed something in this file?

 Just edit this and put the new mac in the line that defines the old
 eth1, and delete the 'new' NIC. There's probably some means of
 > reloading stuff after this, but rebooting does it for me.

As I wrote, just edit this file to match your current interfaces. The easiest way to do it is just delete the line that ends with eth0, and change eth1 to eth0. When you reboot, the interface with mac 00:16:3e:00:00:d5 will then appear at eth0.

All this file does is store persistently the mappings generated when udev finds a new device - a big improvement from the days when the interfaces could change names/order under different OSs, or even randomly at boot time :( The downside is that you may need to go and manually delete/edit mappings when changing 'hardware'.

--
Simon Hobson