[Xen-users] CPU monitoring & CPU cycles

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] CPU monitoring & CPU cycles
From: Marco Creola <marco_creola@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:34:52 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:28:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.de; s=s1024; t=1281699296; bh=CIIPI3I6o3x0Ax3VW5cSuBq3+iGDhpVzgpeIQrhsIe4=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Subject:From:To:Content-Type:Date:Message-ID:Mime-Version:X-Mailer; b=yYnu7CV1yi/pa6yhDZDNRp90I3EsbVYL5vzYaxM9Uh89bU2fKLHRjvLs+tn8t+TdCyVcMllwfBGtg9V1qOukkfe0vBtgMEKA4on63gFgz3N+g/8/byWuXxHd+0z1ETHXM8SvwWinvh1C4S6oNXb7ZU1AHP+zA4E3ydOH/UkXIgc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I am a student at University of Zurich and I'm doing a homework about
Cloud Computing regarding accounting and billing.

Because the "big" players use Xen Hypervisor I installed a Xen (3.3.0)
on an Ubuntu 8.04 to test some things and get more familiar with Xen
regarding accounting.

I have two questions:

1. CPU monitoring
+++++++++++++++++
I have discovered something strange regarding CPU usage monitoring.

I found a CPU monitoring tool called "xenmon.py".

I have to explain my problem with the help of a screenshot.

On top left side on "screenshot.png" you can see that Dom0 is pinned to
CPU 0 and my two VMs are pinned to CPU 1. (Both VMs use also Ubuntu
8.04).

Also you can see that vm2 and vm3 have each a cap of 40%.

On the left side on the picture you can see that I made some stress test
on both VMs.

On the bottom right side of the screenshot I monitor CPUs with XenMon.
As I've excepted XenMon shows that vm2 and vm3 only use 40% each of
their pinned core and therefore this core is used 80%.

But if you look on the top right side, where Ubuntu's built-in system
monitor and a terminal with "htop" inside lie, the CPU usage is
completly different - at least for the CPU which is used by the VMs.

Ubuntu says that CPU 2 uses 22.5% but XenMon says that this CPU has a
load of 80%.

Why is this difference? Is this a lack of Ubuntu or of XenMon? Which
monitor can I trust?

2. CPU cycles
Is there a way to monitor or to log CPU cycles? For example I would like
to know how many CPU cycles "vm2" uses. Maybe there is no tool, but
could this be possible through the Xen API? I have searched the Xen
documentation but I have not found anything.

English is not my native language, so if I sound rude or impolite, I
apology.

I appreciate every help. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Marco