[Xen-users] Facing Xen 4.0 Problems, I Have Some Basic Questions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Facing Xen 4.0 Problems, I Have Some Basic Questions
From: andre.d@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:58:23 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:00:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello there,

I am having serious trouble bringing up my (remote) box with Xen 4.0.1-rc5 and
2.6.32.16-xen. I trust I'm going to sort it all out but I have a few questions
for which I did not find answers on the Web so far. Brief answers to point me
in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

1) Building Xen 4.0 on a dev box, then install on a similar target: Can I build
Xen on an AMD64 2.6.26-2 Debian Lenny (Desktop) for an AMD64 2.6.32.16-xen
target? Technically it appears to work; I just make xen; make tools; make
stubdom; and then I tar and scp the dist/install subdirectory. Shoul this
approach work?

2) Building 2.6.2.16-xen the Debian way on a dev box, then install on a similar
target: Same machines as above. make-kpkg and scp the .deb. Directly booting my
2.6.2.16-xen on the target with Grub 2 works just fine. I have one question
though; I am not supplying any modules. The kernel has everything needed for
startup compiled in. Is it possible to build the initd image on the dev machine
(unning the older kernel) for the target in a straight-forward fashion, with
make? Or do I hav to fake the target machine config for mkinitramfs? Any
pointers?

3) Any kernel I tried so far will only boot with noapic acpi=off, so I provided
that for Xen, too. Is this feature reliable? Can I rely on Xen to pass these
parameters on to the Linux kernel (or does it inherit the settings)? (I read it
in the documentaion, but then again, APIC and ACPI seem to cause a lot of
trouble for many.)

Thank you!