Re: [Xen-users] HVM Network Interfaces

To: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM Network Interfaces
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:58:56 +0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 01:01:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> In my HVM guest's config file, I have given my guest 3 interface. I have
> called them fw1, fw2 and fw3. I have joined each interface to a bridge on
> the Dom0. This does appear when I do a "brctl show". However, there are 3
> other interfaces also added called tapx.0,tapx.1 and tapx.2 (Where x is the
> domain ID for the guest). Furthermore, I am only able to run tcpdump on the
> tap interfaces; if I run tcpdump on the fw1,fw2 or fw3 interfaces, no
> packets are detected.

tap interfaces -> qemu-emulated NICs (realtek model by default), used
when no PV drivers installed (using OS' own driver for that model)

vif interfaces (the one that you can rename) -> xen network frontend
NICs, used when you have PV drivers installed (like GPLPV,
http://meadowcourt.org/downloads/)

--
Fajar