Re: [Xen-users] Why does my DomU keep going mad?

To: Lyle <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why does my DomU keep going mad?
From: Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:17:47 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:19:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lyle wrote:
> On 26/07/2010 14:44, Adi Kriegisch wrote:
>> Hi!
>>

>>>    I've got a DomU that sometimes goes mad. I can't ssh or usually even
>>> console to it. The time I did manage to console I got a load of dumps
>>> about being out of memory and swap, but couldn't run any commands to
>>> find out which process had gone mad :(
>>>
>> You could monitor your services for memory consumption?
>> Something like
>>    ps -e -orss=,args= | sort -b -k1,1n
>> or
>>    ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 4
>> maybe with
>>    ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 4 | head -10
>> shows sorted memory consumption by process or you might rather want to
>> use
>> a monitoring tool like sar, nagios, or whatever to find out which process
>> causes this...
>>

> These are useful thanks, although ps doesn't use - (just to be awkward,
> everything else does).
>
> I looked at nagios a few years ago, it looked great, but like I'd have
> to take a week out to set it up. If there anything lightweight I could
> make? I guess I could write a Perl daemon that runs that ps command
> every 10 seconds or something and logs the output to a file... Seems
> like the sort of thing that should all ready be available though...
>   Anyone else had an issue like this?
>

> Lyle

I used psmon a few years ago for something similar.  Perhaps it would
work for you as well.  It looks as though this is a mail server
(postfix), so it could be something there that is causing your problem.

Here's the link to psmon if you want to give that a try:

http://www.psmon.com/

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957