Re: [Xen-users] installing xen on dell poweredge 2600

To: "Elisha Tigah" <kwaku5752@xxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] installing xen on dell poweredge 2600
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:17:37 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:19:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You need to start with a Linux distribution (or Solaris, if you prefer) and get
that installed.  Many Linux distributions contain support for Xen and have
packages.  A notable exception is that the later versions of RHEL & CentOS have
pushed over to KVM, so setting up Xen as a dom0 may not work out of the box.
Once you have Linux set up, install the Xen packages, or install a development
environment and build Xen from source.  Once Xen is built and installed, you
also need to build a Xen kernel - either the patched kernel (2.6.18 or the SuSE
patches for later kernels) or the later pv_ops kernels (caution, there are some
incompatibilities between pv_ops kernels and various versions of Xen).  Then
you can boot Xen and the new Linux Xen/pv_ops kernel and you're ready to go.
This is a very concise description - check out the Xen.org page, especially the
Wiki, as quite a few folks have written detailed instructions.

Oh, one other thing, the PowerEdge 2600 does not support virtualization
technology, which means you will only be able to run modified (Xen-aware,
patched) kernels.  This means the O/Ss you can run on this box will be limited
to Linux, OpenSolaris, and a couple of the BSD variants.  Running unmodified
guest O/Ss (HVM) on Xen requires that your system and CPUs support
virtualization technology.

-Nick

>>> On 2010/07/23 at 07:10, Elisha Tigah <kwaku5752@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a poweredge 2600 and trying to installing the xen hypervisor. The
> server has been wiped, nothing on it. How do I go about installing, new to
> servers ;-)

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.